Sunday, December 30, 2007

Starting off

The beginning of a new year - what better time to start an adventure in writing? I would like to say first of all, I have always been a fan of classic movies - those from the 'golden age of hollywood' - which is typically centered around the year 1939. That year has been called the most prolific time of classic film production. Over the past 15 years or so, I have 'morphed' from being a fan to being somewhat of a student of classic films. When you start noticing things like the film nuances of certain directors, how well written many of those scripts were, and those unforgettable 'character' actors, you have attained a superior level of film education.

At this stage, I have seen quite a number of the very well known classic movies , some more than once. However, the wonderful thing about those old movies is that there were so many, many good ones - even those which are not well known - that, perhaps, you need to look harder for, but they are there. I have listed many of my favorite movies on my web page " Favorites" - see Carolyn's Cafe. To reflect on classic movies that I know I haven't seen as of yet, which would appear to be interesting, these come to mind:
> Talk of the Town
>A Letter to Three Wives
>Brief Encounter
>Made For Each Other
>The 39 Steps
>Quality Street
>It's Love I'm After
>Friendly Persuasion
>Separate Tables
>Once Upon a Honeymoon
>The Petrified Forest
>Of Human Bondage
>Lifeboat
>Laura
>East of Eden
>Ninotchka


As I get the chance to see these, and any other movies, I will discuss them.

9 comments:

Colleen said...

I saw "Lifeboat," but what I remember most about it was that Alfred Hitchcock directed it and he liked to show up in his movies somewhere.

But where could he just show up in a lifeboat surrounded by water? He found a clever way to do it.

Look for him when you see the movie.

Carolyn said...

"The Talk of the Town" is on Turner Classic Movies on Sunday January 13th at 12:00 pm Eastern Time. It's listed as a comedy. I have been wanting to see some other Ronald Colman movies, and this is one.

I received some other Ronald Colman movie suggestions:
>The Light That Failed
>Lost Horizon
>A Double Life
>The Prisoner of Zenda

I have already seen " A Tale of Two Cities" and "Random Harvest", which is one of my all-time favorites.

Colleen said...

Greer Garson said "Random Harvest" is one of her favorites, and it is one of my favorites, too.

"Smithy. Oh, Smithy!"

djjoe2506 said...

The Talk of the Town has a lot going for it: a great cast and a great director. I see in the IMDB synopsis of the film that Colman plays a "stuffed shirt". Later in that decade, with his wife Benita Hume, he starred in a radio comedy The Halls of Ivy, as a stuffed-shirt Prof. Hall. Must have worked for him.

I remember him though as the personification of suavity in that Hollywood era. This may have been his first against-type casting.

Colleen said...

"Love Affair" with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer will be on TCM early Friday morning.

Let's Talk Reel about it.

Carolyn said...

Much as I love " Love Affair" , I will most likely not be able to stay up to see it at 3:30 am unless I am hit with a wave of sleeplessness....


Brief Encounter is on Thurs. January 10th at 8 pm EST on TCM

Also playing on January 10th at 7:30 EST on TCM is "The 39 Steps"- which I am anxious to see.

So, in January it's :

1-10 - Brief Encounter

1-13 - Talk of the Town

1-22 - The 39 Steps

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

I saw "Brief Encounter" tonight. I don't remember ever seeing it before.

It isn't uncommon to start a movie and then go back and bring it to the beginning again. I thought it was interesting in this movie when we see the beginning and then when we see the end, we see it from Laura's perspective rather than being a fly on the wall watching what we thought was happening in the beginning.

They were both tormented with guilt, yet they constantly brought it on themselves.

What did you think about the
husband quoting Keats about looking at a starry sky and seeing cloudy symbols of a high romance?

I did like the way he thanked her for coming back to him after being so very far away.

What did you think of it?

djjoe2506 said...

Well, it does happen and it's portrayed so well here. Someone comes along who listens, or understands, or cares, and that we are affected is a bit of a shock.

It's all so wonderfully human and interior. Good for those who've experienced some devolution to that state of vulnerability these actors portray so well.

Sorry to have gone "arty"; the spoiler issue is a bit daunting. In the best sense of the word this is as adult a film as I've ever seen.